1853 Mississippi 1863
Wooden sidewheel Great Lakes passenger and package freight vessel
Built at Buffalo NY by F. N. Jones
1 deck, coal-fired boilers, vertical beam engine,
Enrolled at Buffalo NY June 27, 1853 (#102)
326’8” x 40’10” x 14’1”, 1829 12/95 tons to:
Morris Hazard et al., Buffalo NY (home port Buffalo NY)
Built to run between Buffalo NY and Sandusky OH with sister vessel St. Lawrence
Sold 1856 to Michigan Central Rail Road Co., (home port to Detroit MI)
In service between Buffalo NY and Detroit MI with strs. Western World and Plymouth Rock.
Laid up at Detroit MI late in the 1857 season because of the Panic of 1857. By the time the economy recovered, the railroad lines around Lake Erie had been completed and the largevessels of her type were no longer needed.
Towed 1863 to Buffalo NY and dismantled. Engine removed and shipped to New York NY for installation in ocean str. Guiding Star, built in 1865. The hull became a floating drydock in Cleveland OH.