1892 Samuel Mitchell 1994
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter, later self-unloading cement carrier
Built at Cleveland OH by Globe Iron Works, Hull 47
Launched April 2, 1892
310’ LOA, 293’ LBP, 40’6” beam, 24’6” depth
2 decks, hold beams, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1475 IHP
Enrolled at Cleveland OH May 17, 1892 (#106)
292.8 x 40.4 x 20.1, 2277.60 GT, 1870.72 NT US 116495 to:
William Chisholm et al, Cleveland OH (home port Cleveland OH)
(William Chisholm 8/32, Samuel Mitchell 16/32)
Operated by H. J. Webb & Co. for Jackson Iron Mining Co. (management firm renamed W. C. Richardson & Co. 1899)
Entered service 1899
Sold 1899 to Jackson Transit Co., Cleveland OH, W. C. Richardson & Co., Mgr.
Home port 1906 to Fairport OH
Sold Nov 8, 1915 to Huron Transportation Co., Detroit MI
Converted 1916 to self-unloading cement carrier at Marine City MI by S. C. McLouth Shipyard
Remeasured 1927 to 1694 NT
Remeasured 1932 to 293.3 x 40.4 x 20.1, 2248 GT, 1362 NT
Sold 1943 to U. S. War Shipping Administration, Washington DC for off-Lakes service during World War II. Towed down Illinois and Mississippi Rivers to tidewater
Sold 1947 back to Huron Transportation Co. and returned to the Great Lakes. Converted back to self-unloading cement carrier at Sturgeon Bay WI by Christy Corporation.
Remeasured to 2447 GT, 1412 NT
Retired from service 1953 and laid up at Ecorse MI. Later used as storage barge at Sault Ste. Marie MI during construction of the Poe Lock. Towed 1963 to Superior WI, where she was used as a transfer barge between the Huron facilities in Superior and Duluth MN.
Sold summer 1973 to Selvick Marine Towing Corporation, Sturgeon Bay, WI, converted to barge and renamed Mel Wm. Selvick.
Remeasured to 2537 GT, 2529 NT
Laid up at Muskegon MI about 1981
Scrapped 1994 at Muskegon MI