1894 Mohegan 1916 (1919)
Wooden Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Marine City MI by M. P. Lester
233’ LOA, 225’ LBP, 39’ beam, 14’ depth
1 deck, coal-fired boiler, fore and aft compound engine, 865 IHP
Enrolled at Port Huron MI April 23, 1894 (Temp #106)
225.0 x 39.2 x 14.1, 1216.51 GT, 1014.14 NT US 92561 to:
Miami Transportation Co., Curtis & Brainard, Mgr., Toledo OH (home port Toledo OH)
Entered service 1894
Permanent enrollment at Toledo OH April 25, 1894 (#28)
Sold 1903 to Holland & Graves later Graves, Bigwood & Co., Buffalo NY, Luther P. Graves, Mgr.
Sold Nov 28, 1916 to Republic Mining & Manufacturing Co., New York NY for off-Lakes service and left the Great Lakes. Rebuilt for the South American bauxite trade.(This was the first vessel in the fleet of what later became Aluminum Co. of America.)
Exploded Aug 20, 1919 and burned at anchor at Rio de Janeiro Brazil. No lives lost.
See history in Detroit Marine Historian Feb 1951 (#22)
Also in Great Lakes Ships We Remember p. 294