1910 William C. Moreland 1970
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Lorain OH by American Ship Building Co., Hull 387
Keel laid May 10, 1910; launched July 27, 1910
600’ LOA, 580’ LBP, 58’ beam, 32’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 12’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1880 IHP
Enrolled at Cleveland OH Aug 23, 1910 (Temp #8)
580.0 x 58.0 x 32.0, 7514 GT, 5803 NT US 207851 to:
Interstate Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, a subsidiary of Jones & Laughlin Steel Corporation, W. H. Becker, Mgr. (home port Duluth MN)
Entered service Sept 1, 1910 sailing light to Superior WI for a cargo of iron ore.
Permanent enrollment at Duluth MN Sept 6, 1910 (#10)
Stranded Oct 18, 1910 on Sawtooth Reef near Eagle River MI, Lake Superior. No lives lost. Downbound with iron ore from Superior WI on the fifth trip of her career, encountered heavy haze from forest fires. Abandoned to the underwriters as a constructive total loss.
Enrollment surrendered Mar 31, 1911. Salvage contract awarded to Reid Wrecking Co., Sarnia Ont. Floated June 20, 1911 but sank again. Finally broke into three parts. Forward and middle sections lost; stern section floated, towed to Portage Lake Harbor MI and laid up.
Towed to Ecorse MI Sept 1912, then to Port Huron MI Oct 1913 and scuttled in shallow water.
Sold Nov 24, 1915 to Roy M. Wolvin, Duluth MN.
Resold Jan 11, 1916 to American Interlake Line, an American-flag subsidiary of Canada Steamship Lines, Montreal QC
Towed May 1916 to Superior WI, where a new forward section essentially duplicating the lost two forward sections was added by Superior Shipbuilding Co., Hull 524, launched Sept 9, 1916.
Enrolled at Duluth MN Nov 18, 1916 (#12) as Sir Trevor Dawson
580.0 x 58.0 x 32.0, 7215 GT, 5505 NT US 214499 to:
American Interlake Co. (home port Duluth MN)
Entered service again Dec 1916 carrying a cargo of grain to Buffalo NY
Sold Dec 16, 1920 to Pioneer Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, Hutchinson & Co., Mgr. (home port to Fairport OH) and renamed Charles L. Hutchinson (2) 1921
Home port to Wilmington DE 1932
Renamed Gene C. Hutchinson 1951
Sold 1962 to Redwood Enterprises Ltd., Port Credit ON, N. J. Reoch, Mgr. (home port to Hamilton Bermuda) and renamed Parkdale (2)
Enrolled Bermudan at 587.8 x 58.2 x 27.7, 8947 GT, 6533 NT Br 316355
Enrollment transferred to Canada 1967 Can 316355 (home port to Hamilton ON)
Sold for scrap 1970 to Marine Salvage Ltd., Port Colborne ON. Resold to Spanish shipbreakers. Cleared Quebec QC May 12, 1970 with str. Alexander Leslie towed by tug Salvonia. Tow arrived Cartagena Spain June 8, 1970
See history in Scanner Dec 1969 (#4)
Also March 1998 (#241)
Also in Great Lakes Ships We Remember II p. 237