1906 J. Pierpont Morgan 1979
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Chicago IL by Chicago Shipbuilding Co., Hull 68
Launched April 28, 1906
Longest vessel on the Great Lakes when launched and when entered service (Henry H. Rogers, Norman B. Ream and Peter A. B. Widener launched and entered service later that season at same dimensions) (until Edward Y. Townsend and Daniel J. Morrell of later in 1906 – superseded Gary class of 1905)
601’ LOA, 580’ LBP, 58’ beam, 32’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 12’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1800 IHP
Enrolled at Chicago IL May 26, 1906 (#76)
580.0 x 58.0 x 27.4, 7161 GT, 5530 NT US 203155 to:
American Ship Building Co., Cleveland OH
Reenrolled at Duluth MN June 16, 1906 (#229) to:
Pittsburgh Steamship Co., Cleveland OH (home port to Duluth MN)
Entered service June 1906
Rebuilt 1940 at Fairport OH. Hatches to 24’ centers.
Remeasured to 586.5 x 58.3 x 27.4, 7673 GT, 6099 NT
Tonnages corrected 1947 to 7709 GT, 6136 NT
Fleet reincorporated 1949 in Delaware (home port to Wilmington DE)
Fleet merged July 1951 into parent United States Steel Corporation (home port to New York NY).
Laid up at Duluth MN Nov 11, 1960 and did not operate again for this fleet.
Sold Dec 1965 to Comet Enterprises, Montreal QC, a subsidiary of Quebec & Ontario Transportation Co. (home port to Hamilton Bermuda) and renamed Heron Bay (2) 1966.
Enrolled Bermudan at 578.8 x 58.3 x 27.6, 8887 GT, 6574 NT Br 326398
Enrollment transferred to Canada 1966 Can 326398 (home port to Montreal QC)
Transferred 1966 to Trico Enterprises.
Boilers converted 1967 to oil firing
Carried last cargo to Port Cartier QC Oct. 1978, then sailed to Lauzon QC for layup. Renamed Heron B.
Sold for scrap 1979 to Union Pipe & Machinery Ltd. Scrapped at Lauzon QC by Davie Shipbuilding & Repairing Co.