1888 William B. Morley 1918
Wooden Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Marine City MI by Morley & Hill
Launched Aug 18, 1888
277’ LBP, 42’ beam, 21’ depth
2 decks, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1050 IHP
Enrolled at Port Huron MI Sept 21, 1888 (#34)
277.2 x 42.0 x 13.9, 1846.59 GT, 1468.81 NT US 81191 to:
William B. Morley, Marine City MI
Entered service 1888
Sold 1889 to James Corrigan and John Huntington ½ each, Cleveland OH (home port to Cleveland OH) and renamed Caledonia.
Home port to Fairport OH 1892
Transferred 1893 to Corrigan Transit Co.
Second deck and cabins added 1901
Remeasured to 24.7 depth and 2197 GT, 1509 NT
Engine removed winter 1907-08 and installed in barge Polynesia. Replaced by the fore and aft compound engine from str. Kitty M. Forbes.
Sold 1908 to Caledonia Steamship Co., Buffalo NY, John J. Boland, Mgr. (home port to Buffalo NY)
Traded in 1912 to Great Lakes Engineering Works, Ecorse MI on str. Louis R. Davidson being built for the fleet
Chartered for 1913 season to Thompson Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, J. R. Davock, Mgr.
Sold May 19, 1916 to Massey Steamship Co., Superior WI, Chester A. Massey, Mgr.
Sold 1916 to John R. Smith, Fort William ON (home port to Sarnia ON) and renamed Gale Staples.
U. S. enrollment surrendered Dec 20, 1917
Enrolled Canadian at 277.0 x 41.5 x 22.1, 2167 GT, 1293 NT Can 134518
Stranded Oct 1, 1918 14 mile northwest of Point Au Sable, Lake Superior. Upbound from Buffalo NY to Hancock MI with cargo of coal. Driven ashore in storm and pounded to pieces. No lives lost.
See history in Scanner Nov 1995 and March 1996 (#224)