1897 Niagara 1997
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at West Bay City by F. W. Wheeler & Co., Hull 121
Launched May 28, 1897
281’ LOA, 266’ LBP, 42’ beam, 17’ depth
1 deck, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 900 HP
Enrolled at Port Huron MI June 12, 1897 (Temp #115)
266.0 x 42.2 x 16.8, 1951.56 GT, 1483.39 NT US 130738 to:
John L. Crosthwaite, Buffalo NY
(The bottom of the vessel was sheathed with heavy timber to allow her to run down the Niagara River to the Niagara Paper Co.)
Entered service 1897
Sold 1903 to M. H. Taylor, Erie PA
Sold 1907 to Rochester Steamship Co., Buffalo NY, John J. Boland, Mgr.
Transferred 1910 to American Steamship Co., Buffalo NY, Boland & Cornelius, Mgrs.
Shortened 24’ 1926 to St. Lawrence River canal size at Buffalo NY by American Ship Building Co.
Remeasured to 249.5 x 41.4 x 16.8, 1760 GT, 1324 NT
Sold Feb 15, 1927 to Gravel Products Corporation, Buffalo NY
Converted to self-unloading sandsucker at Buffalo NY by Grove Shipbuilding Co.
Remeasured 1952 to 1804 GT, 1304 NT
Sold 1956 to Buffalo Crushed Stone Co., Buffalo NY
Sold 1959 to Erie Sand Steamship Co., Erie PA
Repowered with diesel engine
Laid up August 31, 1982 at Erie PA and did not operate again.
Sold for scrap 1985 to Marine Salvage Ltd., Port Colborne ON and towed to Port Colborne
Efforts were mounted by an Erie PA group to preserve the vessel as a marine museum and she was towed back to Erie. The preservation efforts were a failure.
Sold for scrap late 1997 and scrapped at Erie PA.