1937 Norfolk 2 1967
Steel twin-screw bulk freighter
Built at River Rouge MI by Great Lakes Engineering Works, Hull 284
Launched June 9, 1937
300’ LOA, 288’ LBP, 43’ beam, 20’ depth
1 deck, 2 oil-fired diesel engines, 1200 BHP
290.7 x 43.1 x 18.2, 1946 GT, 1603 NT US 236397 to:
Ford Motor Co., Dearborn MI (home port Dearborn MI)
Built to carry auto parts through the Great Lakes and the New York State Barge Canal between the Ford plant at River Rouge MI and assembly plants at Chester PA and Edgewater NJ
Entered service 1937
Requisitioned 1942 by the U. S. War Shipping Administration for off-Lakes service during World War II and left the Great Lakes
Returned to previous owner at the end of the war. Sold 1946 to Erie & St. Lawrence Corporation, New York NY.
Stranded March 7, 1948 off Morehead City NC, Atlantic Ocean and abandoned to the underwriters as a constructive total loss. Released and repaired.
Sold 1950 to Paterson Steamships Ltd., Fort William ON and renamed Humberdoc.
Rebuilt, shortened and deepened at Montreal QC by Canadian Vickers Ltd
Remeasured to 246.0 x 43.1 x 25.0, 2357 GT, 2204 NT
Enrollment Canadian Can 179585 (home port to Fort William ON)
Fleet merged 1959 into parent N. M. Paterson & Sons Ltd.
Lengthened 1960 at Kingston ON by Kingston Shipyards
Remeasured to 292.5 x 43.1 x 18.0, 2858 GT, 2204 NT
Sold for scrap 1967 to Steel Factors Ltd. Resold to Spanish shipbreakers. Cleared Quebec QC Aug 13, 1969 under tow with str. Howard Hindman. Tow arrived at Bilbao Spain Sept 6, 1969