1867 Northwest 1 1906
Wooden sidewheel passenger and package freight vessel
Built at Manitowoc WI by George S. Rand
241’ LBP, 33’ beam, 19’ depth
1 deck, coal-fired boilers, vertical beam engine,
Her engine was originally installed in str. Canada of 1846 , which was converted to a bark; then to str. Caspian of 1851, which was wrecked in 1852; then to str. E. K. Collins of 1853, which burned in 1854 at Amherstburg ON;then to str. Planet of 1855, which was converted to a barge in 1867 after engine failure in 1866. It finally wore out in 1877.
Enrolled at Chicago IL May 29, 1867 (#403)
236.2 x 32.3 x 13.65, 1109.19 Tons (754.36 NT 1882) US 18107 to:
Goodrich Transportation Co.,
Sold July 1868 to Detroit and Cleveland Steam Navigation Co., Detroit MI (home port to Detroit MI) to replace str. Morning Star, which was lost in a collision on June 20, 1868.
Repowered 1877 with the beam engine from str. Detroit, which had been converted to a schooner in 1870.
Sold 1886 to Red Star Line, Detroit MI, cut down to day excursion vessel and renamed Greyhound.
Remeasured to 241.4 x 33.6 x 10.4, 621.32 GT, 313.95 NT
Sold fall 1899 to White Star Line, Detroit MI
Retired from passenger/freight service Sept 1901
Sold 1902 to Joseph H. Berry, Detroit MI and converted to sand barge. Engine transferred to new str. Greyhound, being built at Detroit.
Sank in slip on Detroit River between Chene and Jos. Campau Avenues and abandoned. Enrollment surrendered at Detroit MI June 29, 1907.