Ontario No. 2

1915                                  Ontario No. 2                                  1950

Steel twin-screw crosslake passenger and railroad carferry

Built at Toronto ON by Polson Iron Works, Hull 126
Launched April 3, 1915
Built to operate across Lake Ontario between Charlotte NY and Cobourg ON

317’6” LOA, 307’6” LBP, 54’ beam, 20’6” depth
3 decks, coal-fired boilers, 2 triple expansion engines, 3500 IHP

Enrolled at Montreal QC
307.5 x 54.0 x 20.2, 5568 GT, 3376 NT     Can 137978     to;
Ontario Car Ferry Co., (home port Montreal QC)

Entered service Oct 1, 1915

The burning of str. Noronic, with heavy loss of life, on Sept 17, 1949 resulted in immediate new more stringent vessel safety regulations.  Vessel was not considered worth the cost of the necessary modifications.

Sold for scrap 1950 to A. Newman & Co., St. Catharines ON.  Scrapped at Hamilton ON by Steel Company of Canada.

See history in Scanner Feb 1977 (#63)

 

1503

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *