1900 William P. Palmer 1 1937
Steel St. Lawrence River canal size bulk freighter
Built at Cleveland OH by American Ship Building Co., Hull 400
Launched May 5, 1900
255’ LOA, 242’ LBP, 42’ beam, 26’6” depth
2 decks, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 900 IHP
Enrolled at Cleveland OH June 22, 1900 (#191)
242.0 x 42.0 x 26.6, 2286 GT, 1587 NT US 81705 to:
American Ship Building Co., Cleveland OH (home port Cleveland OH)
Entered service 1900
Reenrolled at Duluth MN July 23, 1900 (#4) to:
American Steamship Co., Duluth MN, A. B. Wolvin, Mgr. (home port to Duluth MN)
Fleet merged spring 1901 into Pittsburgh Steamship Co., Duluth MN, a subsidiary of United States Steel Corporation, A. B. Wolvin, Mgr.
Sold 1909 to Southern Steamship Co., Philadelphia PA for off-Lakes service and left the Great Lakes.
Sold April 20, 1921 to American Steamship Co., Buffalo NY, Boland & Cornelius, Mgr. and returned to the Great Lakes
Sold 1929 to Allen F. Morley, Detroit MI and renamed Max M. Broad
Returned 1931 to previous owner
Renamed Sidney E. Smith 1934
Struck bottom Nov 17, 1936 off Fairport OH, Lake Erie. Enroute to Buffalo NY with cargo of coal. Continued to Buffalo, where she was drydocked for inspection and abandoned to the underwriters as a constructive total loss.
Scrapped early 1937