1911 William P. Palmer 2 1978
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Ecorse MI by Great Lakes Engineering Works, Hull 76
Keel laid May 16, 1910; launched Oct 15, 1910
First Great Lakes vessel built with the Isherwood system of longitudinal framing.
601’ LOA, 580’ LBP, 58’ beam, 32’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 12’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1800 IHP
Enrolled at Duluth MN Feb 17, 1911 (#30)
580.0 x 58.2 x 33.2, 7602 GT, 5746 NT US 208157 to:
Pittsburgh Steamship Co., Cleveland OH (home port Duluth MN)
Entered service April 1911 (Cleared yard at Ecorse Nov 15, 1910 and sailed light to Cleveland OH. It was planned that she make a trip late in the 1910 season but the shipping season ended earlier than expected and she was laid up at Cleveland.) Cleared layup at Cleveland April 24, 1911 light for Duluth MN.
Fleet reincorporated 1949 in Delaware (home port to Wilmington DE)
Fleet merged July 1951 into parent United States Steel Corporation (home port to New York NY)
Fleet renamed United States Steel Great Lakes Fleet 1967 (home port to Wilmington DE)
Laid up at Duluth MN at end of 1970 season and did not operate again.
Sold for scrap 1978 to Hyman-Michaels Co., Duluth MN and scrapped at Duluth