Panoil

(1920) 1928                                  Panoil                                  1959 (1981)

Steel twin-screw tanker

Built at Violet LA by Alabama & New Orleans Transportation Co., Hull 26
Launched 1920
Built as Crudoil for Huasteca Petroleum Co., New Orleans LA.  Renamed Panoil 1925 (str. Crudoil, which also came to the Great Lakes, was renamed from Panoil to Crudoil at the same time)

258’7” LOA, 242’6” LBP, 36’10” beam, 19’8” depth
1 deck, oil-fired boilers, 2 fore and aft compound engines, 900 IHP

Enrolled at
242.5 x 36.7 x 19.7, 1370 GT, 760 NT     US 220487

Entered Great Lakes service 1928, owned by Huasteca Petroleum Co. in the oil trade from Buffalo NY to Toronto ON.

Sold 1931 to Great Lakes Transport Corporation, Detroit MI

Sold 1955 to Pure Oil Co., Chicago IL

Operated little if ever from 1951.  Laid up at Nicholson Dock & Terminal Co., River Rouge MI and used for storing bunker fuel.  Removed from documentation 1959.

Scrapped 1981 at River Rouge MI

See history in Great Lakes Ships We Remember III p. 285

 

2827

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *