Pargny, Eugene W.

1917                                  Eugene W. Pargny                                  1984

Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter

Built at Lorain OH by American Ship Building Co., Hull 719
Launched Jan 20, 1917

600’ LOA, 580’ LBP, 60’ beam, 32’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 12’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 2000 IHP

Enrolled at Cleveland OH March 2, 1917 (Temp #32)
580.0 x 60.0 x 32.0, 7724 GT, 6020 NT     US 214747     to:
Pittsburgh Steamship Co., Cleveland OH (home port Duluth MN)

Entered service April 24, 1917 clearing Lorain OH light for Duluth MN

Permanent enrollment at Duluth MN Jan 9, 1918 (#14)

Fleet reincorporated 1949 in Delaware (home port to Wilmington DE)

Fleet merged July 1951 into parent United States Steel Corporation (home port to New York NY)

Repowered 1951 with diesel engine at Lorain OH by American Ship Building Co.
(Vessel was repowered with a diesel engine and sister vessel Homer D. Williams was repowered with a steam turbine engine in an experiment to see which type of powering was the more effective, for use in making future fleet repowering decisions.  The diesel engine was determined to be the better choice.)
Remeasured to 8363 GT, 6659 NT

Fleet renamed United States Steel Great Lakes Fleet 1967 (home port to Wilmington DE)

Laid up May 19, 1980 at Duluth MN and did not operate again

Sold for scrap 1984 to Azcon Corporation, Duluth MN.  Scrapped at Duluth

IMO 5109423

See history in Great Lakes Ships We Remember III p. 287

 

1706

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *