1888 E. M. Peck 1938
Composite Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Wyandotte MI by Detroit Dry Dock Co., Hull 79
Launched May 3, 1888
266’ LOA, 253’ LBP, 40’ beam, 19’ depth
1 deck, hold beams, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 875 IHP
Enrolled at Detroit MI May 31, 1888 (#105)
252.6 x 40.2 x 18.6, 1809.11 GT, 1572.34 NT US 135983 to:
Northwestern Transportation Co., Detroit MI, E. M. Peck, Mgr. (home port Detroit MI)
Entered service 1888
Sold 1899 to William E. Fitzgerald, Milwaukee WI (home port to Milwaukee WI)
Sold 1902 to Calumet Transit Co., Milwaukee WI, Frank W. Smith, Mgr.
Management transferred 1909 to Hutchinson & Co., Cleveland OH (home port to Duluth MN)
Boiler exploded June 11, 1913 at dock at Racine WI. 7 lives lost. Abandoned to underwriters as constructive total loss. Wreck sold to Reid Wrecking Co., Port Huron MI and Sarnia ON and repaired.
Enrolled Canadian 1914 252.0 x 40.2 x 18.5, 1651 GT, 988 NT Can 130439 to:
Reid Wrecking Co., Sarnia ON (home port to Sarnia ON)
Sold 1915 to Alfred E. Mathews, Toronto ON and renamed Malton.
Transferred 1925 to Mathews Steamship Co., Toronto ON (home port to Toronto ON)
Fleet went into receivership 1931. G. T. Clarkson, Toronto ON, appointed receiver.
Fleet sold late 1933 to Colonial Steamships Ltd., Port Colborne ON, Scott Misener, Mgr.
Sold for scrap 1934 to Abraham Newman and Joseph Levin. Scrapped 1935 at Port Dalhousie ON.
See history in Scanner April 1979 (#83)