1899 Pennsylvania 1964
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Lorain OH by Cleveland Ship Building Co., Hull 33
Launched Feb 25, 1899
Laid down for Elbert Gary’s Federal Steel Co., the fleet probably to have been known as National Steamship Co. and managed by A. B. Wolvin. Sold during construction.
450’ LOA, 430’ LBP, 50’ beam, 28’6” depth
1 deck, hold beams, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, quadruple expansion engine, 1400 IHP
Enrolled at Cleveland OH May 1, 1899 (#73)
429.6 x 50.0 x 25.0, 4840 GT, 3604 NT US 150810 to:
Minnesota Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, Pickands Mather & Co., Mgr. (home port Ashtabula OH)
Fleet owned by Minnesota Iron Mining Co. (parent company controlled by J. P. Morgan’s Federal Steel Co. 1900-1901)
Entered service 1899
Renamed Mataafa at end of 1899 season
Fleet merged spring 1901 into Pittsburgh Steamship Co., Duluth MN, a subsidiary of United States Steel Corporation, A. B. Wolvin, Mgr. (home port to Duluth MN)
Wrecked Nov 28, 1905 off Duluth MN, Lake Superior. Struck piers attempting to enter harbor in heavy storm. Driven on rocks 700’ from shore and broke her back. Seven crew frozen to death in after section. Recovered and returned to service 1906.
Cargo hold rebuilt 1926 to arch construction at Conneaut OH
Remeasured to 24.8 depth and 4319 GT, 3501 NT
Sold 1946 to Ecorse Transit Co., Detroit MI, Nicholson Transit Co., Mgr.
Converted to automobile carrier
Remeasured to 4775 GT, 3957 NT
Flight deck added 1950
Transferred 1958 to Nicholson Transit Co., Detroit MI. Chartered to T. J. McCarthy Steamship Co., Detroit MI
Sold 1961 to Ranahan-McCarthy Marine Terminal, Buffalo NY, T. J. McCarthy Steamship Co., Mgr.
Sold for scrap 1964 to Marine Salvage Ltd., Port Colborne ON. Resold to German shipbreakers. Arrived under tow at Hamburg Germany July 19, 1965 with str. L. S. Wescoat.
See history in Detroit Marine Historian Dec 1975 (#202)
Also in Great Lakes Ships We Remember II p. 211