Pere Marquette 21

1924                                  Pere Marquette 21                                  1976 (1980)

Steel twin-screw crosslake railroad and passenger carferry

Built at Manitowoc WI by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Corporation, Hull 209
Launched March 18, 1924

360’ LOA, 348’ LBP, 56’ beam, 21’6” depth
3 decks, 2 coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engines, 2700 IHP

Enrolled at
347.9 x 56.2 x 19.2, 2992 GT, 1511 NT     US 23796     to:
Pere Marquette Railway Co., Ludington MI (home port Port Huron MI)

Entered service 1924

Additional passenger accommodations installed 1937
Remeasured to 3016 GT, 1532 NT

Home port to Muskegon MI 1944

Fleet merged 1947 into Chesapeake & Ohio Railway Co.

Lengthened and repowered with Skinner Unaflow engines 1954 at Manitowoc WI by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Co.
Remeasured to 387.9 length and 3558 GT, 1935 NT

Laid up during 1972 season and did not operate again for this fleet

Sold 1973 to Construction Aggregates Corporation, Chicago IL
Converted to barge at Milwaukee WI by Edward Gillen & Co.
Remeasured to 3190 GT, 3173 NT

Transferred 1973 to off-Lakes service and left the Great Lakes.  Loaded with kilns from the former Peerless Cement Co. plant at Port Huron MI on her outbound voyage

Renamed Esgran 1976 and Consolidator 1977

Foundered Nov 12, 1980 off Honduras, Caribbean Sea in Hurricane “Jane”.  No lives lost.

IMO 5274620

 

2436

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *