1926 Colonel James Pickands 1974
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Lorain OH by American Ship Building Co., Hull 791
Keel laid Oct 12, 1925; launched Jan 16, 1926
600’ LOA, 580’ LBP, 60’ beam, 32’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 12’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 2200 IHP
Enrolled at Cleveland OH
586.3 x 60.2 x 27.9, 8151 GT, 6442 NT US 225394 to:
Interlake Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, Pickands Mather & Co., Mgr. (home port Fairport OH)
Entered service 1926
Home port to Wilmington DE 1932
Laid up 1962 and did not operate for several seasons during the 1960s and early 1970s.
Returned to service in 1974 to replace str. Walter E. Watson, which had been sold at the end of the 1973 season.
Suffered boiler problems in May and engine trouble in May. Taken to Bay City MI for repairs by Defoe Shipbuilding Co. but found not to be worth the repairs and unloaded her cargo of iron ore in Cleveland OH.
Sold for scrap 1974 to Marine Salvage Ltd., Port Colborne ON. Resold to Spanish shipbreakers. Cleared Quebec QC Nov 15, 1974 towed by tug Dolphin X. Tow arrived Santander Spain Dec 13, 1974.
See history in Scanner Feb and March 2003 (#202)