Poe, General Orlando M.

1900                                  General Orlando M. Poe                                  1955

 

Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter

 

Built at Cleveland OH by American Ship Building Co., Hull 81

Launched March 1, 1900

490’ LOA, 470’ LBP, 50’ beam, 29’ depth

1 deck, hold beams, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, quadruple expansion engine, 2300 IHP

Originally built with two stacks situated fore and aft.  One stack removed when the vessel was reboilered in 1910

Enrolled at Cleveland OH May 4, 1900 #170)

470.0 x 50.0 x 29.0, 5657 GT, 3892 NT     US 86501     to:

American Ship Building Co., Cleveland OH (home port Cleveland OH)

Entered service 1900

Reenrolled at Duluth MN May 12, 1900 (#119) to:

Bessemer Steamship Co., Cleveland OH (home port Duluth MN)

Fleet merged March 1901 into Pittsburgh Steamship Co., Duluth MN, a subsidiary of United States Steel Corporation, A. B. Wolvin, Mgr.

Cargo hold rebuilt 1923 to arch construction at Fairport OH

Remeasured to 4835 GT, 3705 NT

Fleet reincorporated 1949 in Delaware (home port to Wilmington DE)

Fleet merged July 1951 into parent United States Steel Corporation (home port to New York NY)

Sold 1954 to Wyandotte Transportation Co., Wyandotte MI, converted to a barge and renamed WyChem 104

Remeasured to 4902 GT, 4902 NT

(Purchased by Wyandotte Chemicals Corporation to carry sodium chloride from Wyandotte MI to South Chicago IL.  The operation was not successful but it did cause the railroads to lower their freight rates for this material between these cities.)

Sold for scrap 1955 to Kovalchick Salvage Co.  Scrapped at Hamilton ON by Steel Company of Canada.

 

 

0020

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *