Pontiac 2

1917                                  Pontiac     2                                  1984

 

Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter

 

Built at Ecorse MI by Great Lakes Engineering Works, Hull 164

Keel laid Oct 9, 1916; launched March 27, 1917

600’ LOA, 580’ LBP, 60’ beam, 32’ depth

1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1900 IHP

Enrolled at Marquette MI
580.0 x 60.0 x 27.9, 8200 GT, 6367 NT     US 215048     to:
Grand Island Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, Cleveland-Cliffs Iron Co., Mgr. (home port Grand Island MI)

Entered service May 1917

Fleet transferred 1921 to Cleveland-Cliffs Steamship Co. (home port to Fairport OH)

Home port to Wilmington DE 1932

Repowered 1955 with steam turbine engine and oil-fired boilers
Remeasured to 7918 GT, 5903 NT

Pilothouse replaced 1971 at Sturgeon Bay WI by Bay Shipbuilding Co.
Remeasured to 5879 NT

Sold for scrap 1984 to Marine Salvage Ltd., Port Colborne Ont.  Towed to Port Colborne ON and wintered there 1984-1985.  Resold to Spanish shipbreakers.  Arrived San Esteban de Pravia Spain July 24, 1985 with str. Johnstown towed by Polish tug Koral

 

IMO 5281958

 

 

1707

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *