1900 Princeton 1963 (1966)
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Lorain OH by American Ship Building Co., Hull 302
Launched July 28, 1900
474’ LOA, 454’ LBP, 50’ beam, 28’ depth
1 deck, hold beams, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, quadruple expansion engine, 2000 IHP
Enrolled at Cleveland OH Aug 24, 1900 (#9)
454.0 x 50.0 x 28.5, 5113 GT, 3827 NT US 150876 to:
American Ship Building Co., Cleveland OH (home port Cleveland OH)
Entered service 1900
Reenrolled at Duluth MN Sept3, 1900 (#10) to:
Pittsburgh Steamship Co., Duluth MN (home port to Duluth MN)
(This fleet was founded in 1900 by Andrew Carnegie to compete with John D. Rockefeller’s Bessemer Steamship Co. When the United States Steel Corporation was founded in early 1901, the 99 vessels in five other fleets joined the thirteen vessels then in this fleet to become the ore-carrying arm of the Corporation, at 112 vessels the largest fleet on the Great Lakes.)
Cargo hold rebuilt 1921 to arch construction at Conneaut OH
Remeasured to 4473 GT, 3379 NT
Sold 1945 to Buckeye Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, Hutchinson & Co., Mgr.
Sold Oct 17, 1963 to Roen Steamship Co.,Sturgeon Bay WI for non-transportation uses and retired from active service. Leased to Dow Chemical Co. to supply steam at their Ludington MI power plant. Towed to Manitowoc WI late 1964 and to Sturgeon Bay WI July 1965.
Sold Nov 22, 1965 to Hudson Waterways to trade in to the U. S. Maritime Commission for ships in their mothball fleet. Sold to Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Co. and sunk as part of the breakwater for Bethlehem Steel Co. at Burns Harbor IN.