1943 Frank Purnell 1 1981 (20
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at River Rouge MI by Great Lakes Engineering Works, Hull 293
Keel laid Sept 24, 1942, launched May 8, 1943
Built for U. S. Maritime Commission, Class L6-S-B1 under its World War II vessel construction program. Launched as McIntyre. Renamed Frank Purnell and delivered at commissioning to Interlake Steamship Co., taking in trade two (for this vessel and for strs. Frank Armstrong and E. G. Grace) seven older vessels of the fleet for part of the purchase price
620’6” LOA, 604’ LBP, 60’ beam, 35’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, 18 hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 2500 IHP
603.8 x 60.2 x 30.2, 9057 GT, 6793 NT US 243587 to:
Interlake Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, Pickands Mather & Co., Mgr. (home port Wilmington DE)
Entered service Aug 1943
Traded late 1965 to Bethlehem Transportation Corporation, Cleveland OH for sister vessel str. Steelton (3) and renamed Steelton (4)
(This vessel had a new cargo hold but Interlake wished to convert a Maritime vessel to self-unloader, which would have wasted her new cargo hold)
Boilers converted to oil firing 1971 at Manitowoc WI by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Corporation
Remeasured to 9032 GT, 5760 NT
Collided Aug 25, 1974 with Bridge 12 Welland Canal (automobile lift bridge at Port Robinson ON), destroying bridge and closing the Welland Canal to all vessel traffic for 15 days. Repaired at Port Colborne ON by Herb Fraser and returned to service.
Sold 1978 to Medusa Portland Cement Co. and renamed Hull No. 3. Conversion to self-unloader announced but work never done.
Chartered July 1979 to Cleveland-Cliffs Steamship Co., Cleveland OH and renamed Pioneer (3)
Laid up at the end of the 1979 season at Toledo OH and did not operate again
Towed to Sturgeon Bay WI Nov 1981, where cement handling equipment was installed over the winter of 1981-1982. Towed to South Chicago IL for use as a dockside cement transfer facility.
Renamed C. T. C. No. 1 1982
Sold 2011 to Grand River Navigation Co., Avon Lake OH, a subsidiary of Lower Lakes Towing Ltd.
At South Chicago IL 2011 as a cement storage vessel