1896 Queen City 1946
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Cleveland OH by Cleveland Ship Building Co., Hull 24
Launched May 9, 1896
425’ LOA, 400’ LBP, 48’ beam, 28’ depth
1 deck, hold beams, 11 hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1700 IHP
Enrolled at Cleveland OH June 30, 1896 (Temp # 119)
401.4 x 48.0 x 23.7, 3979.68 GT, 3198.15 NT US 20612 to:
Zenith Transit Co., Duluth MN, A. B. Wolvin, Mgr. (home port Duluth MN)
Entered service 1896
Fleet merged 1900 into American Steamship Co., Duluth MN, A. B. Wolvin, Mgr.
Fleet merged spring 1901 into Pittsburgh Steamship Co., Duluth MN, a subsidiary of United States Steel Corporation, A. B. Wolvin, Mgr.
Cargo hold rebuilt 1917 to arch construction at Toledo OH by Toledo Shipbuilding Co.
Remeasured to 4070 GT, 3367 NT
Rebuilt 1926 at Fairport OH by Pittsburgh Steamship Co.
Remeasured to 3785 GT, 2574 NT
Traded in 1943 with six other vessels of the fleet to U. S. War Shipping Administration, Washington DC on the purchase price of strs. Sewell Avery, George A. Sloan and Robert C. Stanley. Operated during World War II by Pittsburgh Steamship Co.
Laid up end of 1944 season at Erie PA
Sold for scrap 1946 to Steel Company of Canada. Towed to Hamilton ON Oct 1946 and scrapped there.