Ramapo

1896                                  Ramapo                                  1940

 

Steel Great Lakes package freighter

 

Built at Buffalo NY by Union Dry Dock Co., Hull 78

Launched Aug 1, 1896

2 decks, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1500 IHP

340’ LOA, 319’ LBP, 44’ beam, 27’3” depth

Enrolled at Buffalo NY Sept 11, 1896 (#14)

319.5 x 44.0 x 27.1, 3045.03 GT, 2434.91 NT     US 111123     to:

Erie Railroad Co., Buffalo NY, Union Steamboat Line, Operator (home port Buffalo NY)

Entered service 1896

Remeasured 1903 to 319.5 x 44.0 x 27.8, 3314 GT, 2499 NT

Transferred 1907 to Union Steamboat Line.

Renamed F. D. Underwood 1910

Fleet sold Feb 22, 1916 to Great Lakes Transit Corporation, Buffalo NY

The railroads were required under the provisions of the Panama Canal Act of 1912 to divest themselves of competing vessels.  Great Lakes Transit Corporation was organized to own and operate these vessels.

Remeasured 1931 to 330.3 x 44.8 x 24.4, 3270 GT, 2878 NT

Sold 1940 to Steel Company of Canada, Hamilton ON for scrap.  Scrapped there.

 

See history in Great Lakes Ships We Remember III p. 319

 

 

X625

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *