1943 Clarence B. Randall 1 1987
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Ashtabula OH by Great Lakes Engineering Works, Hull 523
Keel laid March 16, 1942; launched Dec 19, 1942
Built for U. S. Maritime Commission, Class L6-S-B1 under its World War II vessel construction program. Delivered at commissioning to Pioneer Steamship Co., taking in trade two older vessels of the fleet for part of the purchase price
620’6” LOA, 604’ LBP, 60’ beam, 35’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, 18 hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 2500 IHP
603.8 x 60.2 x 30.2, 9057 GT, 6793 NT US 243412 to:
Pioneer Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, Hutchinson & Co., Mgr. (home port Wilmington DE)
Entered service July 19, 1943 clearing Ashtabula OH light for Two Harbors MN
Sold 1962 to Columbia Transportation Division, Oglebay Norton Co., Cleveland OH and renamed Ashland.
Boilers converted to oil firing 1972 at Superior WI by Fraser Shipyards
Laid up Dec 19, 1979 at Toledo OH and did not operate again
Sold for scrap 1987 to Corostel Trading Ltd. Resold to Taiwan shipbreakers. Cleared Quebec QC Dec 18, 1987 with str. Thomas Wilson towed by Liberian tug Osa Ravensturm. Wilson lost at sea Dec 30, 1987. Ashland grounded Jan 16, 1988 off Bermuda, freed Jan 20. Destination changed from Kaohsiung Taiwan to Mamonal Colombia. Tow arrived Mamonal Feb 5, 1988.
See history in Great Lakes Ships We Remember III p. 10