Red Wing

(1944) 1960                              Red Wing                                        1986                                                    

Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter

Built at Chester PA by Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Hull 335
Launched Feb 12, 1943
Built as Class T2-SE-A1 tanker Boundbrook (US 245195) for U. S. Maritime Commission during World War II.  Registered at 507.6 x 68.2 x 39.2, 10317 GT, 6168 NT.  520’ LOA, 68’ beam, 39’ depth.  Sold 1947 to Imperial Oil Ltd. and renamed Imperial Edmonton (Can 177867).  Sold Nov 1958 to owners below and laid up at Sorel QC.  Towed into the Great Lakes May 1959 after the opening of the St. Lawrence Seaway.  Renamed Hull 28 for inbound voyage.

Converted to Great Lakes bulk freighter at St. Catharines ON by Port Weller Dry Docks Ltd., Hull 28. New keel laid Nov 2, 1959 and hull forward of her machinery spaces replaced by new forward section.  Rechristened Red Wing July 23, 1960.

730’ LOA, 710’ LBP, 75’ beam, 39’3” depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 24’, oil-fired boilers, steam turbine engine, 6600 SHP

Enrolled at
711.4 x 75.2 x 34.2, 17813 GT, 13672 NT     Can 311463     to:
Upper Lakes Shipping Ltd., Toronto ON (home port Toronto ON)

Entered service Aug 13, 1960 clearing St. Catharines ON light for the Upper Lakes

Laid up Dec 15, 1984 at Toronto ON and did not operate in service again

Sold for scrap 1986 to Taiwanese shipbreakers.  Sailed under her own power to Quebec QC. Cleared Lauzon QC Oct 27, 1986 with str. Frank A. Sherman towed by Canadian tug Canadian Viking.  Tow arrived Kaohsiung Taiwan April 30, 1987

IMO 5291367

 

6004

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *