1943 Richard J. Reiss 2
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at River Rouge MI by Great Lakes Engineering Works, Hull 290
Keel laid March 9, 1942, launched Sept 19, 1942
Built for U. S. Maritime Commission, Class L6-S-B1 under its World War II vessel construction program. Launched as Adirondak. Renamed Richard J. Reiss and delivered at commissioning to Reiss Steamship Co., taking in trade two older vessels of the fleet for part of the purchase price
620’6” LOA, 604’ LBP, 60’ beam, 35’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, 18 hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 2500 IHP
603.8 x 60.2 x 30.2, 9057 GT, 6793 NT US 243406 to:
Reiss Steamship Co., Sheboygan WI (home port Wilmington DE)
Entered service May 25, 1943. On maiden voyage cleared Sandusky OH with a cargo of coal for Sheboygan WI
Converted to self-unloader 1965 at Manitowoc WI by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Corporation
Remeasured to 33.5 depth and 9876 Gt, 7604 NT
Fleet sold June 1969 to American Steamship Co., Buffalo NY. (Fleet managed by Boland & Cornelius but continued as a subsidiary under its former name.)
Converted to diesel power 1976 at Bay City MI by Defoe Shipbuilding Co.
Remeasured to 9790 GT, 7518 NT
Fleet merged 1986 into American Steamship Co. Buffalo NY
Chartered 1986 to Erie Sand Steamship Co. Erie PA, Erie Sand & Gravel Co., Mgr. and renamed Richard Reiss. (Renaming said to have been done because Erie head Sidney Smith felt that a 13-letter name was unlucky. The renaming was accomplished by just painting out the middle initial J.)
Sold 1992 to Erie Sand Steamship Co.
Laid up Dec 18, 2001 at Erie PA
Fleet sold 2002 to Oglebay Norton Co., Cleveland OH (home port to Cleveland OH) but vessel did not operate for this fleet.
Sold 2004 to Grand River Navigation Co., Avon Lake OH, a subsidiary of Lower Lakes Towing Ltd.
Renamed Manistee (2) 2005
In service 2011 for Grand River Navigation