1900 Rensselaer 1946
Steel St. Lawrence River canal size bulk freighter
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Cleveland OH by Cleveland Ship Building Co., Hull 402
Launched July 26, 1900
474’ LOA, 454’ LBP, 50’ beam, 28’6” depth
1 deck, hold beams, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, quadruple expansion engine, 2000 IHP
Enrolled at Cleveland OH Aug 31, 1900 (#10)
454.0 x 50.0 x 28.5, 5113 GT, 3827 NT US 111302 to:
American Ship Building Co., Cleveland OH (home port Cleveland OH)
Entered service 1900
Reenrolled at Duluth MN Sept 5, 1900 (#11) to:
Pittsburgh Steamship Co., Duluth MN (home port to Duluth MN)
(This fleet was founded in 1900 by Andrew Carnegie to compete with John D. Rockefeller’s Bessemer Steamship Co. When the United States Steel Corporation was founded in early 1901, the 99 vessels in five other fleets joined the thirteen vessels then in this fleet to become the ore-carrying arm of the Corporation, at 112 vessels the largest fleet on the Great Lakes.)
Sank str. James Gayley Aug 7, 1912 in fog off Manitou Island, Lake Superior.
Cargo hold rebuilt 1920 to arch construction at Conneaut OH
Remeasured to 24.0 depth and 4472 GT, 3411 NT
Traded in 1943 with six other vessels of the fleet to U. S. War Shipping Administration, Washington DC on the purchase price of strs. Sewell Avery, George A. Sloan and Robert C. Stanley. Operated during World War II by Pittsburgh Steamship Co.
Laid up end of 1944 season at Erie PA
Sold for scrap 1946 to Steel Company of Canada. Towed to Hamilton ON and scrapped there.