1905 Francis L. Robbins 1965
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Cleveland OH by American Ship Building Co., Hull 424
Launched Jan 19, 1905
401’ LOA, 380’ LBP, 50’ beam, 28’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 12’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1000 IHP
Engine from str. George W. Roby of 1889, which was converted to a barge
Enrolled at Cleveland OH March 27, 1905 (#38)
380.0 x 50.0 x 28.0, 4222 GT, 3036 NT US 201802 to:
American Ship Building Co., Cleveland OH (home port Cleveland OH)
Reenrolled at Cleveland OH April 5, 1905 (#44) to:
Robbins Transportation Co., Cleveland OH, W. H. Becker, Mgr. (home port to Fairport OH)
Entered service 1905
Transferred 1908 to Valley Steamship Co.
Fleet renamed Becker Steamship Co. Aug 4, 1922
Sold April 13, 1928 to Consolidated Water Power & Paper Co., Wisconsin Rapids WI
Converted 1929 to an automobile carrier at Manitowoc WI by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Co., transferred to the Newaygo Tug Line and renamed George W. Mead.
Remeasured to 387.0 x 50.2 x 23.8, 3968 GT, 2935 NT
Sold 1936 to T. J. McCarthy Steamship Co. Detroit MI
Converted back to bulk freighter 1942 and then back to automobile carrier 1945.
Flight deck added 1948 to increase automobile carrying capacity.
Sold for scrap 1965 to Acme Scrap & Metal Co. Resold to Chas. Kurz & Co. for trade in to U. S. Maritime Commission on vessels in the reserve fleet. Scrapped 1967 at Ashtabula OH.