1910 Rochester 2 1941 (1960)
Steel twin-screw overnight passenger vessel
Built at Wyandotte MI by Detroit Shipbuilding Co., Hull 180
Launched Sept 4, 1909
256’ LOA, 246’6” LBP, 42’ beam, 14’9” depth
5 decks, coal-fired boilers, 2 triple expansion engines, 2000 IHP
Enrolled at Detroit MI April 9, 1910 (Temp #82)
246.0 x 42.0 x 15.6, 1603 GT, 867 NT US 207073 to:
Richelieu & Ontario Navigation Co. of the United States, Montreal QC (home port Michigan City IN)
(This was an American subsidiary of Richelieu & Ontario Navigation Co., Montreal QC to permit her to operate between U. S. ports.)
Entered service 1910
Permanent enrollment at Chicago IL Sept 26, 1910 (#20)
Parent fleet merged 1913 into Canada Steamship Lines, Montreal QC
Ownership of vessel transferred to American Interlake Line, their American subsidiary
Chartered for the 1915 season to Indiana Transportation Co., Chicago IL for service on Lake Michigan
Transferred 1920 to parent fleet and renamed Cape Eternity
Enrollment transferred to Canada Can 141863 (home port Montreal QC)
Remeasured to 246.8 x 42.3 x 14.6, 2484 GT, 1407 NT
Assigned for the 1920 through 1924 seasons to off-Lakes service operating between Montreal QC and the Saguenay River
Laid up at Toronto ON mid-season 1929 and did not operate again for this fleet.
Sold 1935 to Seaway Lines Ltd., Windsor ON and renamed Georgian.
Fleet renamed Lakeway Lines Ltd. 1939
Sold 1941 for off-Lakes service during World War II and left the Great Lakes.
Unofficially renamed Avalon II while serving as a floating barracks at Halifax NS and St. John’s Nfld. 1942-1945. Sold Chinese 1946 and renamed Ha Sin.
Scrapped about 1960 in China
See history in Scanner Midsummer 1978 (#76)
Also in Detroit Marine Historian Nov 1949 (#10)
Also in Great Lakes Ships We Remember p. 343