1905 William A. Rogers 1946
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Lorain OH by American Ship Building Co., Hull 337
Launched July 8, 1905
545’ LOA, 525’ LBP, 55’ beam, 31’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 12’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1800 IHP
Enrolled at Cleveland OH Aug 3, 1905 (#12)
525.0 x 55.0 x 31.0, 6524 GT, 5101 NT US 202311 to:
American Ship Building Co., Cleveland OH (home port Cleveland OH)
Reenrolled at Cleveland OH Aug 7, 1905 (Temp #14) to:
Niagara Transit Co., North Tonawanda NY (home port to North Tonawanda NY)
Permanent enrollment at Niagara Falls NY Aug 9, 1905 (#2)
Entered service Aug 1905
Sold Jan 19, 1916 to Johnstown Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, M. A. Hanna & Co., Mgr.
(home port to Fairport OH)
Sold 1925 to Bethlehem Transportation Corporation, Cleveland OH, H. K. Oakes, Mgr.
(home port to Wilmington DE) and renamed Lehigh (2)
Traded in 1943 with strs. Saucon and Steelton (1) to U. S. War Shipping Administration, Washington DC on the purchase price of strs. Lehigh (3) and Steelton (2) and renamed Johnstown (1). Operated during World War II by Bethlehem Transportation Corporation.
Laid up at end of 1944 season at Erie PA.
Sold for scrap 1946 to Steel Company of Canada. Towed to Hamilton ON June 1946 and scrapped there.