1905 George H. Russel 1961
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at St. Clair MI by Great Lakes Engineering Works, Hull 11
Laid down by Columbia Iron Works. Firm failed before launch and was acquired by
Great Lakes Engineering Works.
Launched April 22, 1905
484’ LOA, 464’ LBP, 50’ beam, 28’ depth
1 deck, hold beams, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1500 IHP
The first arch construction was on strs. Augustus B. Wolvin and Sahara of 1904.
Beginning in 1905 all bulk carriers were built with arches except the two built at St. Clair that year (George H. Russel and Frank J. Hecker, which were finally converted to arch construction in 1924).
Enrolled at Port Huron MI Aug 1, 1905 (#3)
462.0 x 50.0 x 24.0, 4978 GT, 3770 NT US 202149 to:
St. Clair Engineering Works (sic)
Reenrolled at Cleveland OH Aug 7, 1905 #72) to:
Gilchrist Transportation Co., Cleveland OH (home port to Fairport OH)
Entered service 1905
Fleet went into receivership 1910
Sold at auction 1913 to Lackawanna Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, Pickands Mather & Co., Mgr.
Fleet renamed Interlake Steamship Co. and vessel renamed Canopus.
Cargo hold rebuilt 1924 to arch construction at River Rouge MI by Great Lakes Engineering Works.
Home port to Wilmington DE 1932
Sold 1945 to Nicholson Transit Co., Detroit MI
Converted 1946 to automobile carrier and bulk freighter
Flight deck added 1950 to increase automobile carrying capacity.
Boilers converted to oil firing 1955
Sold for scrap 1961 to Hyman-Michaels Co. Scrapped at Ashtabula OH.
See history in Great Lakes Ships We Remember II p. 47