Ryerson, Edward L.

1960                              Edward L. Ryerson                                           

Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter

Built at Manitowoc Wi by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Inc., Hull 425
Keel laid April 21, 1959;  launched Jan 12, 1960
First bulk carrier built at this shipyard

730’ LOA, 712’ LBP, 75’ beam, 39’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 24’, oil-fired boilers, steam turbine engine, 9000 SHP

Enrolled at
714.0 x 75.1 x 34.5, 12170 GT, 7637 NT     US 282106     to:
Inland Steel Co., Chicago IL (home port Indiana Harbor IN)

Entered service Aug 3, 1960 clearing Manitowoc WI light for Escanaba MI

Did not operate 1986 and 1987 seasons

Did not operate 1994 through 1996 seasons (The fact that she had not been converted to self-unloader when the carriage of iron ore moved almost exclusively to self-unloaders made this vessel of marginal value during these years of reduced shipments.)

Inland Steel Co. sold 1998 to Ispat International, a Netherlands company and to permit continued operation of the fleet between U.S. ports the vessels were transferred to subsidiary Indiana Harbor Steamship Co., managed by Central Marine Logistics, Griffith IN.

Returned to service 2006

Laid up May 18, 2009 at Superior WI

IMO 5097606

Laid up at Superior WI

 

6002

 

 

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *