1881 Saginaw Valley 1925
Wooden Great Lakes package freighter
Built at West Bay City MI by F. W. Wheeler & Co., Hull 11
Launched April 9, 1881
1 deck, coal-fired boiler, steeple compound engine, 450 IHP
Enrolled at Port Huron MI June 11, 1881 (#159)
161.0 x 31.5 x 10.5, 720.17 tons (592.03 NT 1882) US 115769 to:
Saginaw Transit Co., Bay City MI
Entered service 1881
Carried passengers and freight on a weekly route from Detroit MI to ports on the St. Clair River andalong Lake Huron to Saginaw and Bay City MI and to Goderich ON
Sold 1887 to William W. Tyler, Michael J. Galvin and Angus McDougall 1/3 each, Buffalo NY (home port to Buffalo NY)
Lengthened 1888 and double decked at Buffalo NY
Remeasured to 226.0 length and 1112.09 GT, 1021.78 NT (length adjusted to 226.6 1893)
Sold 1897 to Thomas M. Ryan, Buffalo NY
Rebuilt 1898 at Buffalo NY to bulk freighter for the coal and lumber trade and renamed Meriden.
Remeasured to 10.3 depth and 849 GT, 759 NT
Sold 1904 to Henry N. Loud, Alpena MI, rebuilt at Port Huron MI and renamed Kongo.
Remeasured to 215.0 x 31.0 x 10.2, 672 GT, 482 NT
Sold 1912 to Harmon H. Salmon & Co., New York NY
Sold 1916 to Frank S. Sullivan, Buffalo NY
Sold 1916 to Reid Wrecking Co., Sarnia ON(home port to Sarnia ON)
U. S. enrollment surrendered Feb 3, 1917
Enrolled Canadian at 215.0 x 31.3 x 10.4, 758 GT, 398 NT Can 134520
Sold 1917 to R. Scott Misener et al., Sault Ste. Marie ON (shown on enrollment as Robert S. Misner) and renamed Overland.
First vessel in what later became the substantial Canadian Misener fleet.
Sold 1920 to Harold D. Robertson et al., Toronto ON
Sold 1921 to Harbour Brick Co., Toronto ON
Crack appeared in her hull summer 1925 while loading sand from the Niagara Bar, Lake Ontario. Machinery removed at Toronto ON and the hull abandoned at Port Dalhousie ON. .Hull used as a rifle range 1926 at Port Dalhousie. Later scrapped. (Not removed from enrollment until 1938.)
See history in Scanner Feb 1971 (#13)
Also in Great Lakes Ships We Remember II p. 304