1902 E. N. Saunders 1953
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Lorain OH by American Ship Building Co., Hull 314
Launched Jan 30, 1902
400’ LOA, 380’ LBP, 50’ beam, 28’ depth
1 deck, hold beams, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1450 IHP
Enrolled at Cleveland OH March 26, 1902 (#51)
380.0 x 50.0 x 28.0, 4305 GT, 3366 NT US 136976 to:
American Ship Building Co, Cleveland OH (home port Cleveland OH)
Reenrolled at Cleveland OH April 22, 1902 (#69) to:
Steel Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, J. C. Gilchrist, Mgr. (home port to Fairport OH)
Entered service 1902
Fleet merged 1903 into Gilchrist Transportation Co., Cleveland OH, J. C. Gilchrist, Mgr.
Gilchrist fleet went into receivership 1910
Sold at auction 1913 to Davidson Steamship Co., Duluth MN, G. A. Tomlinson, Mgr. (home port to Duluth MN
Sold Dec 31, 1915 to Grand Island Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, Cleveland-Cliffs Iron Co., Mgr. (home port to Grand Island MI) and renamed Negaunee 1916
Transferred 1921 to Cleveland-Cliffs Steamship Co., Cleveland OH
Cargo hold rebuilt 1922 to arch construction at Cleveland OH by Interlake Engineering Co.
Remeasured to 3644 GT, 2828 NT
Home port to Wilmington DE 1932
Traded in 1943 with four other Cleveland-Cliffs managed vessels to U. S. War Shipping Administration, Washington DC on the purchase price of strs. Champlain and Cadillac. Operated during World War II by Cleveland-Cliffs Steamship Co. and after the war on a continuing temporary charter.
Sold for scrap 1953 to Boston Metals Inc. and scrapped at Buffalo NY in 1954.