(1915) 1968 Scotia II 1996
Steel double twin-screw railroad carferry
Built at Newcastle England by Sir W. G. Armstrong Whitworth & Co., Hull 873
Built for service across the Northumberland Strait between New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island., operated by Canadian National Railways. On her delivery trip from England she ran out of bunker fuel and had to burn all the wood aboard, including some lifeboats. Atug came out to tow her to Sorel QC. Originally operated under British flag, enrolled Canadian in 1936.
300’ LOA, 287’ LBP, 48’ beam, 18’2” depth
1 deck, 2 coal-fired triple expansion engines, 2000 IHP
Enrolled 1936 at Canso NS
286.8 x 48.2 x 18.2, 1854 GT, 741 NT Can 158870 to:
The Minister of Transport, Ottawa ON (home port to Canso NS
Assigned late 1968 to service on the Detroit River between Detroit MI and Windsor ON. Arrived Windsor Dec 9, 1968. Determined to produce excessive smoke from her coal-burning engines and found to be 2 feet too wide to enter the slip at Detroit.
After very limited service on the Detroit River towed to Sarnia ON and laid up
Converted 1976 to a carferry barge at Port Edward ON and returned to service across the St. Clair River between Port Huron MI and Sarnia ON
Service ended April 4, 1996 with the opening of a new larger railroad tunnel under the St. Clair River. Towed to Hamilton ON, where she was laid up and did not operate again