1901 Walter Scranton 1946
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Cleveland OH by American Ship Building Co., Hull 404
Launched Jan 5, 1901
436’ LOA, 416’ LBP, 50’ beam, 28’ depth
1 deck, hold beams, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1700 IHP
Enrolled at Cleveland OH March 26, 1901 (#63)
416.0 x 50.0 x 28.0, 4803 GT, 3294 NT US 81743 to:
American Ship Building Co., Cleveland OH (home port Cleveland OH)
Reenrolled at Cleveland OH April 1, 1901 (#74) to:
Cleveland Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, John Mitchell, Mgr. (home port to Fairport OH)
Entered service 1901
Cargo hold rebuilt 1913 to arch construction and hatches converted to 12’ centers at Cleveland OH by American Ship Building Co.
Remeasured to 4426 GT, 3061 NT
Sold Dec 30, 1915 to Interlake Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, Pickands Mather & Co., Mgr. and renamed Saturn (2)
Home port to Wilmington DE 1932
Traded in 1943 with six other vessels of the fleet to War Shipping Administration, Washington DC on the purchase price of strs. Frank Armstrong, E. G. Grace and Frank Purnell. Operated during World War II by Interlake Steamship Co.
Laid up end of 1944 season at Erie PA
Sold for scrap 1946 to Steel Company of Canada. Towed to Hamilton ON and scrapped there.