1903 John Sharples 1944 (1947)
Steel St. Lawrence River canal size bulk freighter
Built at Superior WI by Superior Shipbuilding Co., Hull 507
Launched June 13, 1903
255’ LOA, 241’ LBP, 41’ beam, 18’ depth
1 deck, 6 hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 900 IHP
Enrolled at Marquette MI June 25, 1903 (Temp #48)
255.0 x 41.0 x 18.0, 1614 GT, 919 NT US 77587 to:
Great Lakes & St. Lawrence River Transportation Co., Duluth MN, A. B. Wolvin, Mgr. (home port Duluth MN)
Entered service 1903
Reenrolled at Marquette MI with correct fleet name Aug 19, 1903 (Temp #5) to:
Great Lakes & St. Lawrence Transportation Co., Duluth MN, A. B. Wolvin, Mgr.
Permanent enrollment at Duluth MN Aug 22, 1903 (#13)
Management of fleet transferred 1905 to D. Sullivan & Co., Chicago IL (home port remained Duluth MN)
Stranded Dec 9, 1910 on Galloo Island, Lake Ontario. Abandoned to the underwriters as a constructive total loss. Sold to Reid Wrecking Co., Port Huron MI, and repaired at Buffalo NY by Buffalo Dry Dock Co.
Sold Jan 22, 1916 to Charcoal Iron Co. of America, Detroit MI and renamed Cicoa.
Sold 1917 to U. S. Shipping Board, Washington DC for off-Lakes service and left the Great Lakes.
Sold 1920 to Glen Transportation Co., Toronto ON, A. E Mathews, Mgr. (home port to Midland ON)
Enrolled Canadian at 241.0 x 41.0 x 16.3, 1676 GT, 999 NT Can 150231
Renamed Glenvegan 1922
Transferred 1925 to Mathews Steamship Co. (home port to Toronto ON) and renamed Wiarton (1)
Fleet went into receivership 1931. G. T. Clarkson, Toronto ON appointed receiver.
Fleet sold late 1933 to Colonial Steamships Ltd., Port Colborne ON, Scott Misener, Mgr.
Sold 1934 to Nicholson Transit Co., returned to American flag and renamed Fleetwood.
Converted to crane vessel.
Remeasured to 246.7 x 41.2 x 15.7, 1593 GT, 1124 NT US 77587
Sold 1944 to U. S. War Shipping Administration, Washington DC for off-Lakes service during World War II and left the Great Lakes.
See history in Scanner March 1976 (#55)
Also Jan 2008 (#311)
Also in Great Lakes Ships We Remember II p. 397