1906 J. H. Sheadle 1 1979
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Ecorse MI by Great Lakes Engineering Works, Hull
Launched Sept 29, 1906
550’ LOA, 530’ LBP, 56’ beam, 31’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 12’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1700 IHP
Enrolled at Detroit MI Oct 25, 1906 (#25) 530.0 x 56.2 x 32.0, 6924 GT, 5476 NT US 203628 to:
Great Lakes Engineering Works
Reenrolled at Detroit MI Oct 27, 1906 (Temp #27) to:
Grand Island Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, Cleveland-Cliffs Iron Co., Mgr. (home port to Grand Island MI)
Permanent enrollment at Marquette MI Nov 24, 1906 (#14)
Entered service 1906
Fleet transferred 1921 to Cleveland-Cliffs Steamship Co., Cleveland OH (home port to Fairport OH)
Sold Sept 15, 1924 to Forest City Steamship Co., Cleveland OH and renamed F. A. Bailey.
Forest City firm failed and vessel returned Dec 1, 1927 to Cleveland-Cliffs Steamship Co.
Renamed LaSalle (2) 1930
Home port to Wilmington DE 1932
Remeasured 1939 to 26.7 depth and 7238 GT, 6181 NT
Repowered 1951 with steam turbine engine and boilers converted to oil firing at Toledo OH by American Ship Building Co.
Sold 1965 to Upper Lakes Shipping Ltd., Toronto ON (home port to Toronto ON) and renamed Meaford (3).
Enrolled Canadian at 538.0 x 56.2 x 27.0, 7616 GT, 5429 NT Can 325783
Sold 1979 to Pierson Steamships Ltd. (the Soo River Co.), Mississauga ON, Westdale Shipping Ltd., Mgr. and renamed Pierson Independent
Scraped bottom Oct 28, 1979 in St. Lawrence River enroute with grain for Trois Rivieres QC. Determined to be damaged beyond economical repair, sold for scrap to Strathearne Terminals and towed to Hamilton ON. Resold to Spanish shipbreakers. Renamed Company for scrap tow. Arrived under tow at Santander Spain June 11, 1980.
See history in Scanner Oct 1989 (#232)
Also in Detroit Marine Historian April 1981 (#220)
Also in Great Lakes Ships We Remember II p. 180