1896 Shenango No. 2 1922
Wooden twin screw (plus stern screw) Great Lakes crosslake railroad carferr
Built at Toledo OH by Craig Shipbuilding Co., Hull 69
Launched Oct 25, 1895
300’ LOA, 283’ LBP, 53’ beam, 19’ depth
1 deck, coal-fired boilers, 2 fore and aft compound engines, 1250 IHP
Enrolled at Toledo OH Nov 30, 1895 (#4)
282.6 x 53.0 x 19.4, 1938.12 GT, 1317.92 NT US 116695 to:
Craig Shipbuilding Co., Toledo OH (home port Toledo OH)
Entered service for United States & Ontario Steam Navigation Co., Conneaut OH, a subsidiary of the Pittsburgh, Shenango & Lake Erie Railroad Co.
Sold 1898 to Detroit, Grand Rapids & Western Railroad, Grand Rapids MI and renamed Muskegon).
Sold 1901 to Pere Marquette Railroad Co., Ludington MI and renamed Pere Marquette 16.
Chartered 1906 to Ann Arbor Railroad Co.
Chartered late fall 1906 to Lake Michigan Car Ferry Transportation Co., replacing their lost barge No. 2.
Condemned 1907 for use as a carferry.
Sold 1918 to Hammermill Paper Co., Erie PA and renamed Harriet B.
Converted to bulk freighter
No change in dimensions or tonnages
Converted to barge 1921
Remeasured to 2340 GT, 2072 NT
Sunk May 3, 1922 in collision with str. Quincy A. Shaw off Two Harbors MN, Lake Superior. Anchored outside harbor, towed with barge Crete under tow of str. C. W. Jacob, waiting for fog to clear to enter the harbor, when rammed and sunk by Shaw. No lives lost.
See history in Great Lakes Ships We Remember II p. 311