1903 Henry S. Sill 1946
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at West Superior WI by Superior Shipbuilding Co., Hull 417
This was a hull number of the American Ship Building Co. Cleveland OH yard. Building transferred from Cleveland to Superior.
Launched Oct 17, 1903
436’ LOA, 416’ LBP, 50’ beam, 28’ depth
1 deck, hold beams, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1300 IHP
Enrolled at Marquette MI Oct 20, 1903 (Temp #10)
416.0 x 50.0 x 28.0, 4720 GT, 3282 NT US 200374 to:
Superior Shipbuilding Co.,
Reenrolled at Cleveland OH Nov 2, 1903 (#25) to:
Gilchrist Transportation Co., Cleveland OH (home port to Fairport OH)
Entered service 1903
Fleet went into receivership 1913
Sold at auction 1913 to Lackawanna Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, Pickands Mather & Co., Mgr.
Fleet renamed Interlake Steamship Co. and vessel renamed Cetus.
Sold Oct 24, 1923 to Forest City Steamship Co., Cleveland OH and renamed Samuel H. Squire 1924
Sold Nov 1, 1927 to Interlake Steamship Co. and renamed Cetus.
Cargo hold rebuilt 1928 to arch construction
Remeasured to 4390 GT, 2952 NT
Traded in 1943 with six other vessels of the fleet to U. S. War Shipping Administration, Washington DC on the purchase price of strs. Frank Armstrong, E. G. Grace and Frank Purnell. Operated during World War II by Interlake Steamship Co.
Laid up end of 1944 season at Erie PA
Sold for scrap 1946 to Steel Company of Canada. Towed to Hamilton Ont. June 1946 and scrapped there.
See history in Detroit Marine Historian June 1962 (#130)
Also in Great Lakes Ships We Remember p. 78