1903 Sinaloa 1971
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at West Bay City MI by West Bay City Shipbuilding Co., Hull 609
Launched April 18, 1903
436’ LOA, 416’ LBP, 50’ beam, 28’ depth
1 deck, hold beams, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1500 IHP
Enrolled at Port Huron MI May 13, 1903 (#39)
416.0 x 50.0 x 24.0, 4539 GT, 3503 NT US 117248 to:
West Bay City Shipbuilding Co.
Reenrolled at Duluth MN May 27, 1903 (#95) to:
Superior Steamship Co., Duluth MN, G. A. Tomlinson, Mgr. (home port to Duluth MN)
Entered service 1903
Cargo hold rebuilt 1914 to arch construction at Lorain OH by American Ship Building Co..
Sold Feb 2, 1924 to Clifton Transportation Co., Cleveland OH, W. F. Rapprich, Mgr. (home port to Fairport OH) and renamed William F. Rapprich.
Fleet failed Nov 2, 1927and vessel returned to Superior Steamship Co., Duluth MN (home port to Duluth MN) and renamed Sinaloa 1928
Converted to scraper type self-unloader 1928 at Sturgeon Bay WI by Leatham D. Smith Dock Co.
Sold 1937 to Michigan Steamship Co., Cleveland OH
Converted to self-unloading sand dredge at Sturgeon Bay WI by Leatham D. Smith Dock Co.
Stranded Nov 11, 1940 off Sac Bay, Big Bay de Noc, Lake Michigan. Salvaged by John Roen, Sturgeon Bay WI and towed to dry dock at Manitowoc WI, where she was abandoned to the underwriters as a constructive total loss and turned over to Roen Steamship Co. Repaired and sold Oct 1941 to American Steamship Co., Buffalo NY (home port to Buffalo NY)
Sold for scrap 1971 to United Metals Ltd. Resold to Spanish shipbreakers. Cleared Quebec QC under tow. Tow arrived Santander Spain June 19, 1971.
See history in Scanner March 1992 (#195)