Sloan, George A.

1943                              George A. Sloan                                                

Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter

Built at River Rouge MI by Great Lakes Engineering Works, Hull 291
Keel laid May 28, 1942, launched Dec 23, 1942
Built for U. S. Maritime Commission, Class L6-S-B1 under its World War II vessel construction program.  Launched as Hill Annex.  Renamed George A. Sloan and delivered at commissioning to Pittsburgh Steamship Co., taking in trade two (for this vessel and strs. Sewell Avery and Robert C. Stanley) seven older vessels of the fleet for part of the purchase price

620’6” LOA, 604’ LBP, 60’ beam, 35’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, 18 hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 2500 IHP

Enrolled at Detroit MI July 22, 1943 (Temp #2)
603.8 x 60.2 x 30.2, 9057 GT, 6793 NT     US 243488     to:
Pittsburgh Steamship Co., Cleveland OH (home port Duluth MN)

Entered service July 1943

Permanent enrollment at Duluth MN July 25, 1943

Fleet reincorporated 1949 in Delaware (home port to Wilmington DE)

Fleet merged July 1951 into parent United States Steel Corporation (home port to New York NY)

Converted to self-unloader 1967 at Superior WI by Fraser Shipyards
Remeasured to 9706 GT, 7300 NT

Fleet renamed United States Steel Great Lakes Fleet 1967 (home port to Wilmington DE)

Boilers converted to oil firing 1977

Fleet made a subsidiary of United States Steel Corporation 1981, renamed USS Great Lakes Fleet Inc., Duluth MN (home port to Duluth MN)

Converted to diesel power 1985 at Superior WI by Fraser Shipyards
Remeasured to 33.5 depth

Sold 2001 to Lower Lakes Towing Ltd., Port Dover ON and renamed Mississagi.
Enrolled Canadian                                                       Can 822914 

IMO 7423392

In service 2011 for Lower Lakes Towing

 

4308

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *