1867 Frances Smith 1896
Wooden sidewheel Great Lakes passenger and package freight vessel
Built at Owen Sound ON by Melancthon Simpson
Launched April 30, 1867
2 decks, coal-fired boiler, vertical beam engine,
Engine from str. Gildersleeve of 1839, then to str. Clifton of 1854, which was sold 1866 and converted to barge and replaced in her service by this vessel
Enrolled at Owen Sound ON
181.8 x 27.9 x 11.1, 627 tons to:
W. H. Smith, Owen Sound ON (home port Owen Sound ON)
Transferred 1872 to Mrs. Frances Smith after the death of Capt. Smith
Partially burned 1884 at Collingwood ON. Did not operate again for this owner
Sold 1888 to Great Northern Transit Co., Collingwood ON (home port to Collingwood ON) and renamed Baltic.
Rebuilt at Collingwood ON
Remeasured to 181.0 x 27.9 x 11.9, 1324 GT, 833 NT Can 92310
Ran between Collingwood ON and Chicago IL during the Columbian Exposition (Chicago World’s Fair).
Laid up at Collingwood at the end of the season and did not operate again. Declared unfit for further use and her permit to operate withdrawn.
Burned 9-5-1896 at her dock at Collingwood ON
See history in Detroit Marine Historian Oct 1962 (#134)
Also in Great Lakes Ships We Remember p. 360