1912 William P. Snyder Jr. 1986
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Ecorse MI by Great Lakes Engineering Works. Hull 83
Keel laid July 22, 1911; launched Jan 27, 1912
With Colonel James M. Schoonmaker longest vessel on the Great Lakes (until W. Grant Morden of 1914)
(The two sisters were the largest vessels ever built for the exclusive carriage of bulk freight until 1925.)
617’ LOA, 590’ LBP, 64’ beam, 33’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 12’, coal-fired boilers, quadruple expansion engine, 2500 IHP
Enrolled April 27, 1912
590.0 x 64.2 x 34.2, 8603 GT, 6650 NT US 209662 to:
Shenango Steamship & Transportation Co., Cleveland OH (home port Pittsburgh PA)
Entered service April 12, 1912 clearing Ecorse MI light to Duluth MN for a cargo of iron ore
Transferred 1918 to Shenango Furnace Co.
Repowered 1950 with Skinner Unaflow engine
Sold 1966 to Interlake Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, Pickands Mather & Co., Mgr. (home port to Wilmington DE)
Sold 1971 to Cleveland-Cliffs Steamship Co., Cleveland OH
Remeasured 1971 to 8625 GT, 5896 NT
Boilers converted to oil firing 1978
Sold 1983 to American Bulk Shipping Co. for use as a container vessel but operation cancelled and vessel returned to previous owner.
Sold for scrap 1986 to Port Colborne Marine Terminals, Port Colborne ON and scrapped there.
See history in Great Lakes Ships We Remember II p. 363