1906 William P. Snyder
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Ecorse MI by Great Lakes Engineering Works, Hull 17
Keel laid Oct 16, 1905; launched Feb 17, 1906
552’ LOA, 530’ LBP, 56’ beam, 31’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 12’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1700 IHP
Enrolled at Detroit MI March 12, 1906 (#43)
530.0 x 56.2 x 32.0, 6939 GT, 5492 NT US 202859 to:
Great Lakes Engineering Works
Reenrolled at Detroit MI April 26, 1906 (Temp #62) to:
Shenango Steamship Co., Cleveland OH (home port to Fairport OH)
Entered service April 1906
Permanent enrollment at Cleveland OH May 7, 1906 (#89)
Sold 1926 to Stewart Furnace Co., Cleveland OH, Harvey H. Brown & Co., Mgr. and renamed Elton Hoyt II.
Sold 1929 to Youngstown Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, Pickands Mather & Co., Mgr.
Fleet transferred 1930 into Interlake Steamship Co.
Home port to Wilmington DE 1932
Repowered 1950 with Skinner Unaflow engine
Renamed Alex D. Chisholm 1952 to free up previous name for new vessel being built for the fleet.
Remeasured 1960 to 6969 GT, 5386 NT
Sold 1966 to Cement Transit Co., Cleveland OH, Medusa Portland Cement Co., Mgr and Renamed Medusa Challenger.
Converted 1967 to self-unloading cement carrier and boilers converted to oil firing at Manitowoc WI by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Inc.
Remeasured to 6967 GT, 5384 NT
Fleet sold 1998 to Southdown Inc. and vessel renamed Southdown Challenger 1999.
Fleet sold 2000 to Cemex Inc. Since the firm was Mexican owned, to continue trading between U.S. ports permitted only by U.S. flag vessels under the Jones Act, transferred to affiliate Wilmington Trust and managed by HMC Ship Management, Lemont IL.
Fleet sold 2005 to St. Marys Cement Inc. and vessel renamed St. Marys Challenger.
In service 2010 for St. Marys Cement