1903 Sonoma 1955 (1962)
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at West Bay City MI by West Bay City Shipbuilding Co., Hull 610
Launched May 23, 1903
436’ LOA, 416’ LBP, 50’ beam, 28’ depth
1 deck, hold beams, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1300 IHP
Enrolled at Port Huron MI June 23, 1903 (#46)
416.0 x 50.0 x 24.0, 4539 GT, 3503 NT US 117268 to:
West Bay City Shipbuilding Co.
Reenrolled at Duluth MN July 22, 1903 (#3) to:
Duluth Steamship Co., Duluth MN, G. A. Tomlinson, Mgr. (home port to Duluth MN)
Entered service 1903
Cargo hold rebuilt 1914 to arch construction.
Sold Feb 2, 1924 to Fairmount Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, W. F. Rapprich, Mgr. (home port to Fairport OH) and renamed David S. Troxel.
Transferred 1925 to Forest City Steamship Co., Cleveland OH
Fleet failed Nov 2, 1927 and vessel returned to Duluth Steamship Co., Duluth MN (home port to Duluth MN) and renamed Sonoma 1928
Sold 1929 to Nicholson-Universal Steamship Co., Detroit MI (home port to Wilmington DE)
Converted to automobile carrier at Ecorse MI by Great Lakes Engineering Works
Sold 1942 to Overlakes Freight Corporation, Detroit MI
Converted back to bulk carrier at Ecorse MI by Nicholson Dock & Terminal Co.
Renamed Fred L. Hewitt (2) 1947
Sold 1950 to T. H. Browning Steamship Co., Detroit MI
Sold 1955 to Gamma Lake Ship Co., a subsidiary of Continental Grain Co., for grain storage in Buffalo NY harbor and retired from active service.
Sold for scrap 1962 to Marine Salvage Co., Port Colborne ON. Resold to Steel Company of Canada, towed to Hamilton ON and scrapped.