Sonora

1902                                  Sonora                                  1961

Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter

Built at West Superior WI by Superior Shipbuilding Co., Hull 505
Launched June 11, 1902

366’ LOA, 346’ LBP, 48’ beam, 28’ depth
1 deck, hold beams, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1198 IHP

Enrolled at Marquette MI June 18, 1902 (Temp #25)
353.2 x 48.0 x 24.0, 3914 GT, 2850 NT     US 117158     to:
Superior Shipbuilding Co.,

Reenrolled at Duluth MN July 2,1902 (#29) to:
Superior Steamship Co., Duluth MN, G. A. Tomlinson, Mgr.

Entered service 1902

Cargo hold rebuilt 1911 to arch construction
Remeasured to 3630 GT, 2731 NT

Sold March 9, 1923 to Nicholson Transit Co., Detroit MI (home port to Wilmington DE)

Converted 1924 to automobile and package freight vessel at River Rouge MI by Great Lakes Engineering Works

Remeasured 1931 to 48.6 beam and 3611 GT, 2858 NT

Management of fleet aasumed 1924 by Nicholson-Universal Steamship Co., Fred L. Hewitt, Mgr.

Fleet transferred 1927 to Nicholson-Universal Steamship Co., Detroit MI
(William Nicholson sold his fleet to Nicholson-Universal and agreed not to engage in the transportation of automobiles on the Great Lakes for a period of 20 years)

Transferred 1942 to Overlakes Freight Corporation, Detroit MI

Sold 1947 to Nicholson Transit Co., Detroit MI

Remeasured 1949 to 3730 GT, 2976 NT

Converted 1952 to crane vessel at River Rouge MI by Nicholson Terminal & Dock Co.
Remeasured to 3775 GT, 3041 NT

Sold for scrap 1961 to Hyman-Michaels Co., Chicago IL.  Scrapped at Ashtabula OH.

 

0227

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *