(1959) 1978 Steelcliffe Hall
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Hamburg West Germany by Schlieker-Werft , Hull 533
Launched April 11, 1959 as Rhine Ore (Liberia 1407) for ocean service. Originally 546’ LOA. Sold late 1976 to owners below; renamed Steelcliffe Hall and lengthened and converted to Great Lakes bulk freighter at Lauzon QC by Davie Shipbuilding Ltd., Hull 694 with the addition of a new forebody.
730’ LOA, 715’4” LBP, 75’9” beam, 40’2” depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 24’, oil-fired diesel engine, 8750 BHP
716.0 x 76.0 x 36.0, 18517 GT, 12585 NT Can 383573 to:
Hall Corporation Shipping Ltd., Montreal QC (home port Toronto ON)
Entered service May 1978. Up Welland Canal May 3, 1978
Sold 1988 to N. M. Paterson & Sons Ltd., Thunder Bay ON (home port to Thunder Bay ON) and renamed Windoc (2).
Heavily damaged Aug 11, 2001 in accident on the Welland Canal. Downbound with a cargo of wheat from Thunder Bay ON for Montreal QC, passing under the Allanburg ON bridge when the bridge lowered prematurely, shearing off her pilothouse and stack. While she was drifting down the canal, a fire erupted suddenly, destroying her after structure. Abandoned to the underwriters as a constructive total loss. Towed to Hamilton ON and laid up.
Repurchased from the underwriters by her previous owners.
Sold 2002 to Le Groupe Ocean, Quebec QC. Towed Sept 2002 to Montreal QC and Oct 2003 to Quebec QC.
Sold 2006 to Algoma Central Corporation and Upper Lakes Shipping Ltd. Towed 2007 to the International Marine Salvage yard at Port Colborne ON and 2008 to the Seaway Marine & Industrial Shipyard at St. Catharines ON.
Laid up 2010 at St. Catharines ON