Steelton 3

1943                                     Steelton     3                                                    1994

Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter

Built at Ashtabula OH by Great Lakes Engineering Works, Hull 525
Launched Sept 11, 1943

Built for U. S. Maritime Commission, Class L6-S-B1 under its World War II vessel construction program.  Launched as Pilot Knob (second of two vessels of this class with this temporary name).  Renamed Steelton and delivered at commissioning to Bethlehem Transportation Corporation, taking in trade (for this vessel and str. Lehigh) three older vessels of the fleet for part of the purchase price

620’6” LOA, 604’ LBP, 60’ beam, 35’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, 18 hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 2500 IHP

Enrolled at
603.8 x 60.2 x 30.2, 9057 GT, 6793 NT     US 244507     to:
Bethlehem Transportation Corporation, Cleveland OH

Entered service Nov 1943

Traded late 1965 to Interlake Steamship Co., Cleveland OH for sister vessel str. Frank Purnell  (1) and renamed Frank Purnell  (2)
(Interlake’s vessel had a new cargo hold but they wished to convert a Maritime vessel to self-unloader, which would have wasted her new cargo hold)

Converted to self-unloader 1966 at Toledo OH by American Ship Building Co.
Remeasured to 8421 GT, 6120 NT

Boilers converted to oil firing 1972

Sold 1974 to Columbia Transportation Division, Oglebay Norton Co., Cleveland OH and renamed Robert C. Norton  (2)

Laid up May 9, 1980 at Toledo OH and did not operate again

Sold for scrap 1994 to International Marine Salvage Ltd.  Resold to Indian shipbreakers.  Cleared Sorel QC under tow.  Tow arrived Alang India Dec 16, 1994

IMO 5339731

 

4316

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *